Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Free Range Chicken & Organic Veggies

I had no idea what chicken is supposed to taste like until I tried free range chicken. It's sooo good! 

I make several variations of this recipe. Sometimes I marinate the chicken in organic italian or greek dressing before cooking. Sometimes I grill it, sometimes I bake it in the oven. Sometimes I add fresh dill to the veggie mix. I get bored making things the same way all the time so I like to experiment with different ideas. 


Ingredients


  • free range chicken breast
  • organic onion
  • organic red bell pepper
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • sea salt
  • black pepper

Slice the onion and pepper and toss the veggies in a bowl with 3-4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, sea salt and pepper (to taste). Arrange a little bed of the veggie mix on tin foil and put the chicken on top. Cover the chicken with remaining veggie mix like this: 


I make the same veggie/chicken sandwich arrangement in a covered baking dish for oven cooking. For grilling I wrap it in a tin foil pocket like this: 


Grill the chicken and veggies at 450° - 500° for 15 minutes on each side (30 minutes total). If your chicken breasts are very thick you may need to cook an extra 5-10 minutes. 

If I am baking in the oven I cook it covered with foil at 425° for about 45 minutes. I usually check it after 30 minutes and take off the tin foil for the remaining cook time. 

Unwrap and serve! I like to add another veggie with my chicken. I made the dish below with half an organic sweet potato. 


Sometimes I serve the chicken on a bed of organic brown or wild rice and grilled carrots on the side. Like I said I like to vary things. 

If you try this with any new ingredients leave me a comment and tell me what you did! 



No comments:

Post a Comment