Friday, January 11, 2013

Intro


My mom says I used to be a "TV Dinner Girl". I had terrible eating habits. If it was fast and easy, it was for me. I was slightly overweight. I had no idea how crappy I felt. I was a nightmare in the kitchen. 





I got really sick in the Spring of 2012. First my hands went numb and I had weird facial twitches. My coworkers thought I was having a stroke and called an ambulance. The initial symptoms progressed quickly into shooting nerve pain and within a week I couldn't turn a door knob. The pain spread from my hands to my shoulders, back, neck and jaw. I'm only 37 years old, it was really scary. It felt like my body was revolting against me. 

It took 6 doctors and 2 months of testing to determine I have Lyme Disease. I was lucky really, most people don't get diagnosed so quickly. I have no memory of being bit by a tick or having a rash but they suspect I had Lyme for several years. I was told the treatment was about 1 year and was given antibiotics, supplements and vitamins. I was also ordered by my doctor to drastically change my diet. Easier said than done. 

There's much more to changing your diet than simply eating different things. I am going to give you recipes, resources and some helpful hints to show you how I did it. 

I'm not going to talk much about Lyme Disease here but if you're interested check out Under Our Skin

My symptoms have been steadily improving. I got the use of my hands back after about 4 months. I'll be continuing treatment until around July 2013 and my doctor assures me I will be cured. Bonus to being forced on a diet... I lost 30 pounds, 10 dress sizes and knocked my cholesterol down by 53 points. 

This is a blog about how I changed my eating habits. I am not a doctor or a nutritionist. Please always consult your health care professionals before changing anything. What I eat may not be right for everyone, but it is probably healthier than what you eat right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment