Monday, January 21, 2013

Spagetti Squash & Meatballs

I was a little intimidated by spagetti squash at first but it is SO good and super easy to make! To prep the spagetti squash cut off the ends and then cut it in half. It can be little tough to cut so eat your Wheaties and roll up your sleeves. Spagetti squash have guts on the inside like a pumpkin. Scoop all that crap out and throw it away. Then bake the squash open sides down on a baking sheet. Preheat the oven to 350° and bake 30 minutes. 



When you can stick a fork in the outer skin it is done. After it is finished baking, scrape out the insides with a spoon. This squash I made was a mutant. They are not normally this huge. Here's what you get after scraping. 



(Ignore the date stamps on these pics apparently I have to reset it)


I also make homemade meatballs for this dish. Here are the meatball ingredients: 

  • 1 lb grass fed ground beef
  • 1 organic egg
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (I use brown rice breadcrumbs from the gluten free section)
  • 1/4 cup minced onion 
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper

Combine everything in a large bowl and mush it together with your hands. Roll meatballs about 1" in diameter and put them in a broiler pan. You cook the meatballs for about 30 minutes at 350° (same as the squash) so you can bake everything at the same time. 


I use an organic spagetti sauce to top it off. This is a really healthy alternative to spagetti and it's great if you are avoiding gluten/carbs. Pasta is verboten in my diet so this has been a fantastic substitute when I am craving Italian!  

Unfortunately I have to skip the cheese due to the diet but if you know of a non-dairy cheese substitute that actually tastes good please let me know! My friend Karla tried and reviewed a vegan cheese in her blog (sounded like an epic fail) but so far we can't find anything good in the non-dairy cheese department. 



1 comment:

  1. I seriously hear you - cheese would be tasty on this but better naked meatballs than epic fail =)

    ReplyDelete