Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Grocery List


A friend of mine asked me to blog my grocery list. I thought that was a great idea! Grocery stores can be totally overwhelming. It's so confusing to make healthy choices when you are confronted with a wall full of soup that all looks the same.

Before I got into the habit of reading ingredients on labels, I used to buy whatever had the coolest packaging. Unfortunately nicely designed labels on the outside do not always equal healthy food on the inside. 

ALWAYS READ THE INGREDIENTS! I was amazed to find that very few foods have just the basic ingredients. Almost everything has sugar, high fructose corn syrup, artificial color & flavor and a host of other additives I can't even pronounce. 

My rule of thumb, if I can't pronounce it... I don't eat it. 

Here is an example of my typical grocery list: 

  • almond milk (Silk)
  • honey
  • onions (2 or 3)
  • red bell peppers (2)
  • baby spinach 
  • carrots 
  • squash (1) 
  • cucumbers (1)
  • free range chicken (1 or 2 packages of 3 breasts)
  • grass fed ground beef (1 or 2 packages) 
  • 1 bag nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts)
  • hard tofu (1 package)
  • multi-grain wraps (1-2 bags)
  • hummus
  • Mary's Gone Crackers 
  • bananas
  • strawberries
  • blueberries
  • cantaloupe 
  • refried beans
  • organic brown or wild rice (1 bag lasts awhile)
  • salsa
  • veganaise (dairy free mayonaise) 
I may not get all of these items every week but those are the basics. I usually make a seafood run every week or so to Valley Seafood in Wilkes-Barre, PA for salmon, haddock or flounder. 

The Lyme diet has some handy shopping lists online if you are following the main diet:





No comments:

Post a Comment